Experienced. Committed. Visionary.
Michael Geary is an experienced strategist in large asset divorces. He is most noted for complex property and business structures with tax-related intricacies.
His forte is investigating business data and extracting obscure and powerful details that will support the case and ultimately protect his client’s assets.
Mr. Geary’s ability to quickly and thoroughly understand large complex property cases and business structures, as well as trusts, makes him the ideal attorney to handle large asset divorces. When business valuation and tax-related issues are involved, Mr. Geary is one of the leading and trusted authorities in Texas.
“My practice encompasses all areas of family law,” he says, “including divorce, property division, characterization of assets, tracing of separate property, valuation and reimbursement claims. I handle property cases involving trusts and closely held businesses, prepare premarital and post-marital property agreements and have the experience to be an impartial arbitrator for family law arbitrations.”
Mr. Geary helped shape the practice of family law in the State of Texas due to his membership on the State Bar of Texas family law practice manual committee in 1984 and another term from 1994 through 1996 where he served as co-chairman when the manual was being rewritten.
His stewardship of over 38 years in practice has preserved the heritage of practicing with integrity and ultimately reinforcing the legacy of his father, Joseph Geary, the founder of Geary, Porter, and Donovan, P.C. This legacy is also characterized as “a man of action, led by example.”
Twice he has been selected one of the Best Lawyers in Dallas in Family Law by D Magazine (1995 and 2001). He has been selected to the list of Texas Super Lawyers, a service of Thomas Reuters, as published in Texas Monthly magazine every year since 2003. Mr. Geary has also been listed in The Best Lawyers in America every year since 2006. Best Lawyers is a service of Woodward White, Inc.
Michael received his bachelor’s degree from the University of Texas at Austin in 1976. He received his law degree from South Texas College of Law and was admitted to the State Bar of Texas in 1979. In addition to being a fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Mr. Geary also maintains memberships in various other professional organizations. Mr. Geary has been certified in family law arbitration by the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers since 2006.
Michael’s professional mantra: “A handshake is your bond. My word is good.”
When asked what would be said of his legacy, Michael replies, “I practiced with integrity and treated people the right way.”
Certifications, Awards & Honors
Articles & Publications
- New Frontiers in Marital Property Law Panelist and Co-Author: “Taxes & Divorce.” 2013
- Advanced Family Law Seminar Panelist and Author: “Business Valuation.” 2013
- Advanced Family Law Seminar Panelist and Co-Author: “Difficult Valuation Issues.” 2012
- New Frontiers in Marital Property Law: “Reimbursement: Statutory and Common Law Recoveries.” 2010
- Advanced Family Law Seminar: “Using Good Judgment -Summary Judgments and Declaratory Judgments in Family Law Cases.” 2006
- Advanced Family Law Seminar: “Marital Property & Estate Planning Issues: Characterization and Attacking Trusts, Family Limited Partnerships (FLPs), Etc.” 2003
- Executive Compensation – TAFLS 15th Annual Trial Institute, February 2001
- Advanced Family Law Seminar: “Tracing – How to Actually Do It” 2000
- University of Houston Family Law Practice Seminar: “Characterization and Tracing” 2000, 2001, 2003, 2005 and 2006
- Advanced Family Law Seminar: “Reimbursement” 1999
- Advanced Family Law Seminar: “Reimbursement” When you get it and How to prove-up your claim” 1998
- TSCPA Divorce Conference: “Characterization of Assets and Tracing – Are There Really Any Rules?” 1998
- University of Houston Family Law Institute: “Surprises at Trial and How to Handle Them” 1997
- University of Houston Law Foundation Family Law Practice Seminar: “Clean Up Documents: Transferring Business Interests, Real Estate, Deposits, Moveables, Etc.” 1994, 1995, 1996
- Advanced Family Law Course: “Property Experts: Who to Hire, What They Do, Who to Ask” 1995
- Advanced Family Law Seminar: “Valuing and Dividing Retirement Benefits and Other Forms of Compensation” 1995
- TSCPA Divorce Conference: “Working as an Expert Witness” 1994
- TSCPA Divorce Conference: “Characterization, Tracing and Reimbursement” 1993
- Marriage Dissolution Seminar: “Asset Valuation” – 1993. Reprinted by Texas Family Law Service 1993.
- Family Law Drafting Course: “Business Entities: Covenants Not to Compete, Continued Common Ownership and Net Profit Agreements, Mediation Agreements, Oil and Gas Assignments and Alternative Methods for Securing Obligations” 1993
- Advanced Family Law Seminar: “Sophisticated Methods of Dividing a Family Business: Corporations and Partnerships” 1993
- Advanced Family Law Course: “Valuation of Unusual Assets at the Time of Divorce” 1992
- Advanced Family Drafting Course: “Business Entities: Stock purchase agreement, Redemptions, Consulting contracts and security obligations” 1992
- Advanced Family Law Course: “Closing Documents Workshop” 1991
- Marriage Dissolution Course: “Valuation of Closely-Held Businesses” 1989
Find our latest videos of Michael Geary